(older entries, separated by genre or date, are listed at the bottom of this page.)

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Ellacoya Sneak-in

Last Friday, I had a problem- Josh, Hilton and I had sat inside all day avoiding the heat (like 99 degrees). I wanted to head up to Vermont for the weekend, but felt like since I had spent all day in NH, I had to do SOMETHING. After an hour of sitting around waiting for someone to think of something, Hilton finally had the stupid idea to "just drive around" in his new jeep and "find something to do." We all wanted to swim though (as 99 degree heat for a day will make a man crave), and everywhere we knew was closed except for the ocean, which none of us wanted to swim in. Finally, I let my inner teenager kick in with a super stupid idea: "let's just go to Ellacoya State Park and just sneak in."
So we did. Or didn't. Maybe I'm making this all up- because swimming there after hours isn't allowed.

At our house, we have a pretty bitchin' shirt. Nobody wants to wear this shirt, and whenever a group of 4 or more people are all leaving the house, we have a little game where we say that we're not going to wear the shirt. Whoever says it last or doesn't say it at all, well, they have to wear the shirt. Rich (who I am pretty sure came up with this) got to wear the shirt.

so powerful and stylish, he shoots hiltons out of his back

We hopped in Hilton's jeep and hit the town. I have never ridden in a jeep before- well at least the way you're SUPPOSED to ride in a jeep. No roof, no windows, no doors. It was actually pretty awesome. Just being able to stick your leg out and be outside is a pretty neat feeling. Plus, I had way more room to play air drums, as the usual stupid door next to me was no longer constricting my ability to wail on my imaginary crash cymbal. And it sure beat the heat too. Maybe Hilton's idea wasn't so stupid. 

OH MY GOD WE'RE IN A JEEP!!!

I let my hair down and stuck my head out of the car, just to see how beautiful I could be. 

and I was very beautiful.

We headed waaaay up to Ellacoya and by the time we got there, it was after 9, and quite dark. The gate was up, so Hilton just went for it and may or may not have driven on the grass right next to the gate, and may or may not have turned off all his lights and driven around the parking lot, finally parking in the absolute farthest corner under a tree. We may or may not have then gotten out- alright, screw this, we all know that we snuck in- it says that in the title of this post.

We got out and crept around in the dark, terrified that we would be caught or that someone else would be on the beach. Night vision crept in and we found a picnic table far from everything. We definitely heard people at the other end, and saw lights and possibly fire. I wanted to take pictures, but it was pitch black, and the one time I actually did brave it and used the flash, I was met with an overwhelming chorus of DUDE WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?s. I guess I'd have to agree- any extra attention was not good.

We changed and hit the water, trying to be as silent and discreet as possible. Of course, since we went to the far end, where the water doesn't get past your knees for like 200 feet, this wasn't easy. It was pretty cute how worried we all were, but we finally accepted that A, nobody would be able to see us, and B, anyone else on the beach wasn't supposed to be there either. Once we got deep, it was heaven. The water was cold, the air was cold, the views were spectacular, and this absurdly crowded beach where I once got the pleasure (I'm being very sarcastic) of watching 2 people have sex 100 feet from me on a Sunday afternoon, was completely dead and silent. Swimming underwater was terrifying- you could see the sand and the sky, but everything else was pitch black hell filled with a swimming Jason Voorhees ready to suck me into the depths. We chatted it up, did stupid stuff like handstands, skinny dipped for a bit (yes, 4 dudes OHHH YOU'RE SO GAY, but come on, it felt real nice), had some solid laughs, and Hilton shivered cuz he's a skinny wimp. Over the mountains behind us was flickering lights and distant explosions that sounded like war- we figured it was either fireworks or a concert. Or war. Either way, it was pretty awesome. 

But we were still worried- trying to be quiet, and thinking that every car that drove by in the distance was the cops. When we got out after an hour and walked out, as sneakingly as possible, we swore we saw a light flash on the beach- and then saw a car sitting on the main road, directly next to the parking lot we had snuck into, parked, with its lights on. FUCK. 

Queue everyone saying the same things- it's a cop, maybe they'll go away, dude we're fucked there's no way he doesn't see the car what do we do we just gotta suck it up there's no other way oh shit did you see another light behind us mike wait don't move seriously did you just hear that can you see movement ahead we're so fucked ahhhhhhhh

Just when we were resigning ourselves to seeing what the punishment was for sneaking into a state park to swim, the car drove away and we were home free. I ran up to the road to make sure no cars were coming while Hilton drove his car through the pitch black night and gunned it up the grass. 

I have never really done anything like this, and even though we literally just swam and left (unlike the pounds of drugs, hours of sex, and massive destruction most kids indulge in when sneaking in to places), it felt pretty cool. Just 4 crazy kids, out on the town, with a overwhelming desire to swim. Except 3 of us are over 30 and the other is closing quick. 

We then hit up Applebee's at midnight, I got this really good picture of Rich getting out of the car-

DOOOIIEEEEEEEE

and went home, where I stayed up until 3 and woke up at 7:30 the next day to go to Vermont. If I had gone to Vermont that night, I would probably have just sat around and relaxed for an hour or two and then gone to bed. I clearly made the right choice. 

currently listening to: Our Last Night- We Will All Evolve

1 comment:

  1. haha....you're such a meathead! "LET'S POP OUR COLLARS AND CRUISE FOR BITCHES AND BEERS IN THE JEEP DOOOO GUY!"...........
    but seriously....that sounds like it was pretty damn fun ;)

    ReplyDelete