(older entries, separated by genre or date, are listed at the bottom of this page.)

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Tara's 3rd Annual Drunken Kickball Tournament

Last year, Tara (from apple) had a kickball party. Yes, a kickball party. She lived by a field in Cambridge, and apparently, she and a bunch of friends drank 40s wrapped in paper bags and attempted to play a very disorganized game of kickball. I was invited, but since I'm late to everything, I completely missed it and instead just hung out at the bar afterward, stayed at Dan's that night and went biking the next day. When I was invited again this year (apparently the 3rd year), I was determined to actually show up for the damn thing.

I met Dan at his apartment and we drove in to the city, where, shortly after we got there, we were surprised to see Zack show up. Since stopping being a raging alcoholic, Zack actually comes to things now, and it ruled hanging out with him. 


Here's Sean looking quite beautiful.


And here's me mean mugging. Always be mean mugging. ABMM.


Even freaking Brophy was there! I haven't seen Brophy in way too long.


It was an odd little hangout. I only knew 8 or so people out of like 40. People were drinking 40s in paper bags as advertised, but this game was much different than I was told it would be. Dan had said the year before that it was pretty much just people standing around a field drinking. This year, people took it SERIOUSLY. I showed up and was just a piece of crap on the sidelines making jokes and yelling at the people I knew. I somehow kicked for both teams without ever playing in the field. I ran in front of Clark every time he went to kick it, and got Dan to kick someone else's ball. I was obnoxious, and I had a blast. Hopefully, others enjoyed my antics, but they may not have. People were surprisingly into the game, and Brophy was an all star out there, sliding for catches and making every play. I eventually gave it an effort and got on base, but was immediately thrown out on the next play, in turn yelling at the guy I didn't know who tagged me out, saying it was cheap to tag the guy running toward him.

The real fun, obviously, was just hanging out on the side and acting like an ass. To the 30 or so people there who didn't know me, I apologize for my asseyness- assiness? (it's tough making up words). Next year, I'll bring my own 40 and actually try. I promise.

Here's Sean acting like an ass himself, after he threw his stuff on the ground and celebrated before the game was even over.

goooooooaaaaal?

Here's what I am pretty sure is the final play- Meaghan slid home right before Dan was able to tag her out. I think she was bleeding after this play, making her a true hero. But I think the main reason this was the last play was because nobody bothered to go back out for the next inning. So, in the end, the game ended up being the disorganized mess I was promised. People tried very hard, but again, I kicked for both teams without playing defense ever, and most people there didn't know me and I showed up half way through it.


True gold came after the game though, when I told friends that my camera took amazing pictures when people made horrible faces. Here's one that didn't work for the camera, but makes for quite the picture:


Zack double face:


Maybe my favorite picture ever of Dan:


And another classic:


Here's what I told Sean was a horribly unflattering picture, but he thought he looked good:

note the dinosaur tattoo

Here's Zack trying to talk to girls:


And here's most of the people:


After the kickball ended with some team winning maybe, we headed off to a bar. After the bartender couldn't make the first drink I ordered, then didn't have something needed for the second, then told Dan he couldn't play pool, then told me I could (great place), we settled in and had a good time. Randomly, after being there for a half hour or so, Chris Stout, Pat McMananamanamn and Bill showed up, which was a nice surprise. I never liked working with Stout- he was always too much of a corporate stooge suck up kind of guy, but, like me (as I've since been told by other people), he's a lot better outside of work. I found out we have a lot more in common than I thought, and we all had a great time playing pool, drinking beers and eating nachos that were so hot, I literally drooled all over the floor while eating them. Take that, bad bartender (he ended up being ok, and played awesome music). 


I met some more people who were pretty cool, as well as a few girls who were pretty hot. It's weird how I feel like I'm suddenly social when I feel like I really wasn't before. And it's easy to go with the "oh, duh, Mike was drinking- of course he was outgoing and social" theory, but while I've learned in my year of not being straight edge that that honestly does help, Rich and I were talking about it the other day- it has helped even when I'm not drinking. Just from killing off some social awkwardness the times when alcohol has helped, even in situations where I'm not drinking at all, it's now easier. It's less of a big deal since I guess I feel more of a commonality with people, and since I've talked to strangers while drunk before, why can't I do it while sober now? I don't know, it's probably hard for people who have been drinking all along (read: normal people) to understand, but for 2 recent edge-breakers, it's just something we've noticed. More proof that I made the right choice in breaking edge.

As the night went on, people left, and Dan and I got an epic game of darts going. Not epic because either of us were good- no, epic because we were both terrible and at this point, I was fairly drunk. I honestly think it lasted like 40 minutes.

excellent piece of artwork next to the dartboard

After nearly everyone had left the bar, we went back to his place and stayed up for a few hours just catching up. Dan was always a great friend at apple, and I don't see him nearly enough. It was great to catch up with him and have some laughs late into the morning. Once we decided any alcohol had worn off, I then blasted Dashboard Confessional all the way home, getting back at like 4:45 in the morning. 

This was one of those times in life that work out great and turn into something special- when a random hangout I wasn't exactly pumped for turned out to be an excellent night. Kickball, pool, darts, catching up with old friends and meeting new ones. Gotta love nights like those. 

currently listening to: Early Graves- "Goner"

No comments:

Post a Comment