(older entries, separated by genre or date, are listed at the bottom of this page.)

Thursday, February 20, 2014

The First Annual Inaugural Blue Zoo Pro-Am Invitational

Alright. I'm just gonna start blasting out posts in fast forward. 

So last year we created a new weekend that I am gonna do my best to get to stick- the First Annual Inaugural Blue Zoo Pro-Am Invitational. Yes, every year will be called the inaugural one. 

What is it? A family friendly weekend full of fun where the dudes escape to play golf and drink beer then we all get together for fun the rest of the weekend. I love this not only because we've been talking about golfing together for years, but also because my Dad has weekends like this with a few different groups of friends and he always loves them. Now I have my own. 


We met at Gina's Dad's place for some swimming and family friendly beach time, i.e. ladies drinking fancy drinks on the beach while kids play with sand. I jumped in, we drank a few beers, and Damien was majestic.


Then it was golf time. The only other time I've golfed with this many dudes was at Voss' bachelor party weekend, and it was with a lot of the same people. It also involved more drinking than golfing.


Right off the first tee, I could tell this was gonna be hilarious. 


I was trying to stay hydrated so I brought water, but everyone else brought a lot of beer and demolished it. I went my own way though, and smoked up on hole #3. Golfing high is weird.

After 2 holes, we combined our different groups (just to appease the golf course) into a retarded mess of a six-some.


It was a mess.


Especially for Jake.

this was like 4 inches deep of water

It was a gorgeous day and I had a lot of fun. We had great weather that was prime for instagrams.


Triple Instagram HDR. Booyah.


It was a lot of fun and truthfully, I kind of wished I hadn't smoked- while it's fun to be retarded and party, I really like golf way more when I'm doing well. I think we all generally tried our best, but I definitely felt like I was a little more serious than others. That was good enough for 2nd place, losing to Shaun by 1 stroke. I don't know if he's gotten worse and I've gotten better, or he wasn't entirely at his best, but I'll take it. We knew our scores going into the last hole, so it literally came down to one shot. And he didn't blow it. Bastard.


This was a fully posed shot of Kevin scouting his shot:


I remember I had about 10 years to take pics during this hole, because Tobin had never played golf before, and was easily the worst golfer I've ever played with. For someone who had never swung before and was part of a sixsome, he should have taken 1 practice swing, fucked up, tried again, given up, etc. Play fast. If you hit a ball into the woods, pick up and drop farther down the hole. Don't take 8 practice swings, spend 2 minutes staring at the ball before you hit it, then hit every shot out of the woods and follow exact dropping rules when you're on your 15th shot of a part 4 and you're not past the women's tees yet. 
I think we spent 2 hours on 3 holes. We nearly ran out of light.

But no, we just got gloriously perfect light:


The original plan had called for possible mountain biking after the golf- we'll have to reconsider that for next year if people are interested. It just got too dark too fast, so we headed home for campfire and sweet jams under the giant NEMBA tent. I love that thing.


HAPPY


FRIENDS

Jake had a nice highlight that night when he decided to step into a giant candle.


Guy can't have fun unless he's on fire!


We drank and were merry. I eventually hit the hay, probably with cats crawling all over me.

Day 2 started out cute:



Shaun, Ice, Le Tobin and I decided to go for a small hike as it was hot, we didn't want to do too much, and Ice was hella pregnant and wasn't looking for a marathon. We hit up (I think) Eagle's Ledge? It's a small hike nearby that goes to a nice viewpoint and is pretty nice but still makes you work a little. It was one of the worst hikes of my life. The bugs were absolutely horrific, just all over us every second. The view was nice though. 


As was the hike down, as I talked with Natalie about her business and her life in general. It was a nice way to reconnect with her, since I don't see her enough. 

We got back and everyone went their separate ways. I wasn't ready to call it a day though, so I went back to Gina's Dad's with her and Kevin and swam some more, even though swimming was pretty much just sitting in water and trying to avoid slime. 

I headed out eventually and was met with this gorgeous rainbow.


Awesome weekend. For this summer's edition, I'm hoping to have some trophies, at least for the winner and last place loser of the game. Maybe worst shot, I don't know. Hopefully we can have this stick as another thanxmas/squamtoberfest/lakerage/saltzmcdrunkingtons, etc. 


currently listening to: With Dead Hands Rising- Behind Inquisition

2 comments:

  1. dude remember that whole we did in the wrong order? that was my best tee shot all day. I'm still to this day extremely pissed about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahahahah I had a real good one on that hole too! stupidest golf course designer in history

      Delete