(older entries, separated by genre or date, are listed at the bottom of this page.)

Thursday, September 15, 2011

D-Bone Fantasy Camp Day 3: Mountain biking and fiddlers

Saturday morning, I got up fairly early after another awesome night of sleeping. Dustin was already raging to some awful music when I walked into the kitchen. Amanda made us pancakes, and everyone but Natalie (get a mountain bike!) went out for a big ride at SMBA, the enormous mountain bike trail system that's just a few miles from Dustin's house. This means we rode there too, which is a good way to get warmed up, but also a good way to get hot and sweaty before you even start the ride.

Riding was good- I predicted that I would be a full on boat anchor and be way behind everyone, but I kept up surprisingly well. The last time I rode there, I didn't like it very much, but I've gotten better and the trails have been ridden in much more, meaning it was much faster and easier to ride. There were a few parts that were pretty hilarious though, as Irene had beat the hell out of the place. Did that phase Dustin? Nope.

It's ok to get off the bike Dustin. (picture and some others stolen from Shaun)

It was a great ride. 12.5 miles (nearly half of that was riding to and from the woods though). I was pretty exhausted but had fun. These trails are (at least in my book) very technical at times, and can be exhausting. There are lots of sections that are just enormous rocks covered in enormous roots. This kind of stuff kills me after awhile.

ABMM: Always be mean-mugging.

Thankfully, you don't have to ride up this- but it's also too scary to ride down.

Shaun and Amanda riding down Swamp Pass (get it!?)

We then had a swim in Dustin's ghetto pool. I don't know how I didn't get a picture of this thing, but it was pretty hilarious and also ruled pretty hard. It cost like 180 bucks, and is only probably 4 feet deep, but it's pretty big and nice for something that cost 180 bucks. For reference, it's the pool that kept breaking in Bad Boys 2. Jumping in this (which you shouldn't do by the way) after a long bike ride was quite glorious. We then had some awesome burgers, corn and salad (thanks Shaun and Natalie for buying everything). 

the miserable/sleepy couple

Then we made Natalie freak out by repeatedly saying "moist" and "tender" (words she hates), 

STOOOPPPPIIIITTTTTTT

and took off to a hilarious and awesome bar that was at the top of a never-ending hill in the middle of nowhere, next to a lake called Lake Desolation, that was full of middle aged and older townies watching pretty much the only band that could be playing at a bar like this: The Sun Mountain band, a group of 4 old guys and 1 youngin, led by a crazed and hilarious fiddler. Every song sounded the same, and every one was about beer or weed. The 60-70 year old singer likened a hurricane to really bad and prolonged sex, and said that he wanted everyone to come back for Halloween, where "all the women can dress up like whores and all the men can dress as accountants." Have you ever ended up in a situation like this? It rules. Sometimes the best bands and best times are at the weirdest places with the weirdest bands. 


I think my favorite part of the night was after we all joked that the bassist looked like a crackhead, the leader of the band introduced a song written by him as a "song written by a man who loves 2 things: country music and crystal meth."

he's on the left

the bar had animals painted on it!

We met local lunatic/hero Keith there too, as he was the one who told us about this amazing spectacle. Keith is a pretty rad dude who knows everyone in Saratoga and loves 3 things: beer, weed, and mountain biking. I'm surprised we didn't meet him at Plymouth State. Here's a picture of all of us taken by some horribly drunk dude I nicknamed "random guy at bar." He stared at us a lot and loved us all. We thought he was sketchy and possibly a problem, but learned after talking to him way more than any of us thought we would, that he was just a super friendly and VERY drunk townie. I think it's fitting that the picture is blurry- that's how he saw us. What an artist.

off-center too!

Oh yea, actually, my favorite part of the night was when this happened:

Amanda giggles when she gets checked out by dudes at the bar: "OH YOU ANIMALS!"

This happened so fast and randomly- all of a sudden, a dog was at the bar, with his paws up, like he was ordering a drink. I think he even grabbed money. It was some trick taught to him by the owner of the place. It collectively blew the mind of everyone at the bar. I think I've only seen bar dogs twice, but I will say this: they rule. Any bar with a dog= better than any other bar. 
P.S. "random guy at bar" is behind the dog. His name is Cory. 

We drove home, Dustin and I once again stayed up later than everyone acting like 8 year olds downstairs, and I settled in for another night of horrible sleep. 

currently listening to: My Chemical Romance: Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys

2 comments:

  1. haha...tinney's was AWESOME! one of the best nights of the summer fo sho....and btw cory(sketch at the bar) bought you a drink! you somehow missed that...lol...cant wait to go back for the halloween party!

    ps that dog rules...i rode with him and his brother at smba the week before...those dogs freaking love mtn biking

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea I didn't feel like including that, even though it's hilarious. I may join you for that halloween party, we'll see

    ReplyDelete