(older entries, separated by genre or date, are listed at the bottom of this page.)

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Peaks Island, day 1

Well, clearly I've lost interest in this blog. I'm blogging on October 30th about something that happened  at the beginning of September. Ughk. I suck.

Oh well, I still want to get caught up and document stuff, so here goes.

Dan O'Halloran got married at the beginning of September on Peak's Island. I wasn't invited, but Jake/Tara, Kevin/Gina and Shaun/Natalie all were and decided to rent a house for the whole week, on the island. I invited myself to stay with them for a few days, and it was on.

I bought a ticket on Sunday afternoon and parked my car in a no-overnight-parking lot for a planned 3 days, threw everything I felt I needed into my enormous hiking backpack and hopped on my bike, riding a mile or so through Portland and to the ferry. I felt pretty awesome doing this- just a man on a bike with everything he needed hoping on a ferry, setting off on an adventure to an island. What didn't feel awesome was that the bag was already heavy, and then I added a huge bottle of beer into it. My back was exploding by the time I got there.

Most people took their cars, but tickets for that were like 60 bucks. A bike ticket was like 5. Only one other person was as cheap as me.


I've been on a ferry before and maybe even to one of the islands off Portland, but I'm not sure. Either way, it was pretty awesome setting off and leaving Portland behind. 


And pretty beautiful with the amount of clouds in the sky.


I liked what my phone said for directions. Walking directions: Use caution.


I wandered around the ferry taking a million pictures for instagram. This HDR was my favorite:

just ignore the 2 buoys next to each other.

The ferry connected to the dock on Peaks Island and I walked up the hill with a bunch of people. There was a band playing reggae in the first building. I knew I was at a good place. This sign further solidified that:


I texted Tara to make sure everyone was there, and followed my directions to the house, which was happily like a half mile away. 

It was quite nice- I wasn't expecting this nice.

my badass wildcat towel representing

The house across the street was ridiculous.


This picture is from later on, but this was pretty much all that happened for awhile:

Maxing. Relaxing.

I threw my stuff inside, settled into a chair and chilled. It was a nice day, and relaxing was about all that was happening.

Wyatt set about being cute, trying to take old man Damien on walks:


Damien was awesome,


and Wyatt got more cute.




Maybe we should have kept the beer away from him...


A few of us went on a walk down the street to the ocean, which was literally like a 4 minute walk to beautiful scenery. I was already quite a fan of Peaks Island. Soon, Shaun and Natalie set about making a taco dinner for everyone, and I got fancy with some Brother Thelonius in sweet Maine glasses.


Then I remembered how early these people go to bed. We settled in and threw Blades of Glory on and people started falling asleep at like 10. Luckily I somehow felt tired (probably because of the thelonius), so I was able to actually fall asleep around 12, sleeping on a couch pullout in the living room with Shaun and Natalie. I forgot to take a picture of the bed, but it was small and not entirely supportive, but got the job done.

I'm gonna break this trip up by day. Day 2 will have LOTS of pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment