(older entries, separated by genre or date, are listed at the bottom of this page.)

Friday, November 23, 2012

Squamtoberfest 7, part 2: Apple Picking and the Sandwich Fair

As Kevin and I washed dishes, people started to wake up and eat random stuff that was left over like grapes, Amanda's 20% cooked pumpkin muffins and candy corn. I finally broke out some apple cider to make it a true fall festival. Check out this guy:

is he breathing smoke?

We then got ready and headed out to go apple picking. Look at Amanda's socks!


We lost Tobin on the way, but he eventually found his way to us. We just hung out and did the thing in the parking lot while being colorful. It was a perfect day.


Apple picking went about like it always does- some people get really excited, others (me) just wander around, take pictures, throw apples at people and buy mini pumpkins. 


I ate 1 apple, which of course was documented on instagram. Apparently I look pretty damn good while eating apples.


The Squamtoberfest tree wasn't quite as orange as it has been in the past, but it was still pretty gorgeous. I love how the tips have several colors while the rest of the tree is still green.



Sadly though, this:


was gone. 



That's right, the Squamtoberfest truck- THE TRUCK that everyone with a camera always takes a picture of every time we go to this orchard (Surowiec Farm) is suddenly gone. It's funny what that truck has come to mean over the years. I mean, it's just an old truck. But its old time look, the fact that it's parked in a pile of trees, the view behind it... it just always made for the perfect fall/NH picture. And since I only go to this place on Squamtoberfest, it's become a tradition. Honestly, I don't even care about going apple picking, but I'm very big on traditions and I don't ever want to have a Squamtoberfest without visiting here. And sadly, it looks like I may have to visit here without seeing the truck. I hope it was actually being used or maybe fixed up and we'll see it next year, but I won't know until then. Kevin's old house being abandoned and now this? Don't take what you have for granted people- things change way too fast. I'm praying for you, Squamtoberfest truck.

A few years ago, most of the girls of the group climbed into the tree to take what's become another traditional Squamtoberfest picture. Happily, Dustin immediately made us laugh and took away the pain of the truck not being there.


I really love the instagram I got of this tree.


After the apples, we all split up. Dustin, Amanda, Morgan and Lyle went rock climbing, Kevin, Gina, Tobin, Kira and I headed to the Sandwich Fair, and Mysterio and Masha did their thing where they say they're gonna meet us at the fair and then never show. Bastards. 

I really wish more people went to the fair. Sure, it's 10 bucks just to walk around, eat overpriced food and look at weird people and cows, but to me, it's an integral part of embracing the spirit of fall in New England, and I will be going every year. 

I started to think everyone made the right choice this year though, when we sat in traffic for probably 40 minutes as the unbelievably stupid town of Sandwich directed people into 1 of 2 parking lots, or directed them outside of town. They closed the entire center of town, thus making it impossible to go any faster than a half mile an hour. In the past, we've gone through town and parked at one of many less known lots closer to the action and had everything work out perfectly. This year, not so much. 

By the time we got down there (after paying to park and walking much farther than I was expecting), we were all pretty psyched about cramming some fair food into our faces.


We saw some cows,


I saw that they've moved on from the rasta bananas of last year and were giving away rasta alligators as prizes now,


and we got to see some of the lovely things you can buy at fairs. Like socks. Apparently.


Or maybe guitars covered in paint.


Or very well intentioned, but failed and cute-because-they're-not-good wooden sign things.


Nobody went on any rides this year, but I did get a fairly evil picture of Air Force one, while Skrillex was blasting out of it.


No, we were there for food. I started with some fair pizza. I know some people will call me stupid for getting pizza at a fair, but square fair pizza has its own distinct taste and crunch, and I've actually grown to crave it over the years. Rich had failed miserably when he tried to enjoy fair pizza at the Deerfield Fair a week before. I was very successful. This was perfect.


Gina and I split some absolutely fantastic and surprisingly crisp fried zucchini (which I get every year),


and I got some fried dough. I said I was gonna take a break from it since it always makes me feel horrible, but I couldn't deny it. It ruled.


Tobin got his favorite, chili with some weird meat (I think Bison) and Kevin tried to eat his fingers.

and we all looked real mad about it

I got a big chunk of mudslide fudge and a bigger chunk of cookies and cream. These got demolished later on. The skies looked beautiful as we headed out, and I really felt like even though the day before had sucked, and some key people were missing, Squamtoberfest represented well this year. And leaving the fair sick from food was the perfect end.
  

HDR view from the parking field:


That wasn't it though- we stopped at another fair where I bought the most beautiful bottle of maple syrup (to make old fashioneds!) ever. I tried to get cider doughnuts, but that part of the building was closed. Sad. Still though, I left with lots of fall stuff from various places- maple syrup, apples, an apple BBQ sauce, apple pie jam, pumpkins, and half a bottle of bourbon. 

the leaves were what sucked me in, but I couldn't deny the ducks.

I'm very happy that Squamtoberfest has become a yearly celebration that I know will always exist. Well, as long as Kevin and Gina live in New Hampshire I guess. Which ought to be forever. I'm already looking forward to next year. We're gonna get 2 perfect days of perfect weather, there will be an even bigger crew, and I'll DJ perfectly. PUMPED.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, nice recap and really great pics! haha your comments make me laugh! That was such an awesome weekend:)

    <3 Amanda

    ReplyDelete