(older entries, separated by genre or date, are listed at the bottom of this page.)

Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Belknaps part 2: West Quarry Mountain


After hiking Blue Job for probably the 10th time, then Agamenticus for the 4th, I decided the next logical step in my get-leg-muscles-working-again-after-not-moving-for-4-months hiking progression was to hit up something in my treasured Belknap Range. Since I got no view the last time I hiked West Quarry Mountain, I decided to get the view I had already earned. 

This time, where the trail splits (left is "easier" but no ledges and advised when it's raining, right is ledges and "steeper" (I put both in quotations cuz I'm pretty sure they're equally both quite steep)), I went right to the ledges. If there was a view on this mountain, this is where it would be. 

turn right for ledge views

The hike turned quite steep instantly, just as I had been warned. It looked sweet though.


And sure enough, there were some damn fine views (for a smaller mountain) along the ledges. 


I took an HDR directly into the sun, looking at what I'm pretty sure is Rand Mountain. I'm pretty happy with the results.


I was instantly happy that I had revisited West Quarry. The trail was just as overgrown and remote as before, possibly even more so. It's just a solid smaller hike with a cool trail (once you get off the boring fire road) and finally, some awesome views. 

still don't understand why every mountain doesn't have a summit sign...

I decided that it was early enough and I felt good enough that I would follow the trail for a bit past the summit, in the direction of East Quarry Mountain, one that isn't part of the group you have to hike for a patch, but still in the range. 

From on top of a huge rock, I could see water below, which someday, I may bushwack my way down to. It looked pretty awesome even though I could barely get a picture.


At this point, I decided I would see if I could get to East Quarry, and continued on, losing a lot of elevation gain right away (ughk). The woods opened up into a weird field of crushed grass and a very clear path. 


Do UFOs land here?


The trail was pretty awesome the whole way- just as remote and solitary as the rest of West Quarry. Eventually, it came out to a clearing where trucks had been years ago, probably for clear cutting based on the ugliness and randomness of it. It did allow for a pretty awesome view of Winnipesaukee though, one that I absolutely wasn't expecting to find:


I almost missed where the trail went from here, but there was a small cairn to mark it. 


I continued on for awhile, until I came to a steep drop, and realized a mountain was staring me in the face. It was a steep drop into a steep climb, all to a mountain I've heard there are no views from. Someday I will climb East Quarry, but at this point, it was starting to get late and I was determined to not hike down any mountains in the dark this year, so I decided to save my legs and start walking back. 

Other than a pretty awesome view of the beginnings of sunset the entire walk back (which was hard to capture),


and the awesome trees-are-on-fire effect it created on the tops of trees,


the way down was pretty uneventful. It was a solid hike though- exactly what my legs and lungs needed to prepare for bigger mountains, views I didn't get the last time I was up here, and some exploration. 

And of course, on the way home, I had to stop at Alton Bay to spend some time with the gorgeous sunset. 


currently listening to: The Used- "In Love And Death"

2 comments:

  1. I feel like I need to start doing more activities during the golden hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude, the golden hour is where it's at!

    ReplyDelete