(older entries, separated by genre or date, are listed at the bottom of this page.)

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Trip to Mass

The day after the Saco River trip, I headed to Mass to see some old coworkers, hang out with my old roommates, and have some more horrible nights of sleep. Every time I visit Mass, I stay at my old place for its ease, comfort (extra room with a futon, I still have a key) and because it's nice to see my old roommates. However, every time I go, I pretty much just go elsewhere and show up super late and see them for 5 minutes. So this time, the trip was largely just to spend time with them, so it was much needed and nice.

Monday though, I went straight to Uno's for trivia night, which is an excellent excuse to spend several hours hanging out with people I used to work with and never see anymore. I hadn't been there or seen any of them since Shawn's last day. I made sure he came, and we both answered 1 question each for trivia (mine sadly was about the Jersey Shore) but otherwise were worthless. It was a good time and I stayed in the parking lot talking to Shawn until 3:30 as the mall turned off all of the lights on us. I stayed out there until 4 once with Dan, but otherwise, this was the longest I've done that. We talked a lot and it was awesome to spend time with someone I never see anymore. I've had a lot of deep conversations in that mall parking lot...

I showed up at 4am at my old house and walked into the extra room only to discover that it was completely covered in stuff- it looked like someone had moved in that morning. Nobody had cleaned or moved anything in preparation for me showing up. I guess that's the kind of stuff you run into when you show up and basically sneak in at 4 in the morning. I stood there in silence, debating on just sleeping on the couch and getting woken up at 7, sleeping in my car, sleeping in the basement floor, driving home, or just being the jerk that moves everything around to accommodate my show-up-at-4-like-a-piece-of-crap self. I decided on that latter, and somehow managed to clean everything and go to bed without anyone hearing me, which was quite the feat considering how silent that house can be. I then sent a text to Katherine, warning/apologizing to her that I was in there. 4 seconds after I sent it, I heard her walking to the door. She had to get up super early anyway, and I woke her up, so she just got up. SO, me sneaking around for 20 minutes to the point of freezing still in the doorway and holding position for a minute while I waited for stopped snoring to resume was completely pointless. We had a VERY awkward conversation as she tried to find work clothes while I lay there in my underwear trying to pretend it wasn't extremely awkward. "Hey, haven't seen you in awhile.... So... what's new?"

The next day, I went right back to Apple to meet Sean for some beef. We went to our old favorite, Londi's, and brought Allocca, Alicia, and my old other-admin, Marie, who had never eaten a beef before, and stupidly ordered a super. Watching her be terrified of a sandwich was pretty funny. She just transferred to another store, which I would qualify as opting for a life more awesome. I don't know if you read this Marie, but I'm proud of you.

Alicia will probably hate me for posting this picture of her loving this beef, but she probably won't hate me as much as Sean apparently hates me in this picture. Look at the fury! He really takes his beef seriously.

It was nice going to the store and seeing a bunch of old coworkers, especially on a slow day where they could actually talk to me. The true highlight though, was seeing the amazing work the Burlington Mall continues to do on the elevators there. We always joked that the one right by the store was always being worked on to the point where they probably shouldn't even bother with it anymore. Well, this is how it looked on my visit:


And here's how the other one at the other end looked:

yea, it's not there. Nice work Burlington Mall! At least Spike's Hot Dogs finally opened. Oh wait...

I snagged a sweet pic of Horn Pond in Woburn:


and then headed out to Nick's birthday party in Allston. Nick is a friend of Parola (one of my old roommates), and I went knowing that I would know Nick, Parola, Tobin, and their other movie friend, John. There were probably 15-20 other people there, and I can proudly say that other than a few quick lines here and there, I didn't speak to a single one of them. Not even the person sitting next to me. Hooray for being social! I was part of a 635 dollar bill. Insane. It was actually a very fun time of good food, drinks, and laughs.

Some really drunk guy, John, Le Tobin

Nick: hard to believe this moron's sister is actually pretty hot

I got a sweet picture of a camper-pick up truck, and heard a rat fall 15 feet onto the hood of a car, then saw it scurrying off. Gotta love Allston.


Oh, and this is somehow how I looked for the entire 4 hours we were there. I think it's a good look.


The next day, Nick came over and we all watched a sweet movie that isn't even out yet (love that internet) called Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. It was pretty hilarious, and I'd recommend it to people who like horror spoofs (like Shaun of the Dead). The highlight of this night though, was that we got pizza from City Slickers Pizza in Somerville. I should probably be writing this on my other blog, but I'll say it here for now- this place makes some extremely unique pizza- they slow cook it (the pizza stays in the oven for 25 minutes) until the crust is crispy and kind of greasy, almost like the bread on a grilled cheese sandwich. Jake turned me onto it when it used to be called Urban Gourmet, on the night that I, oddly enough, first saw Shaun of the Dead. Urban Gourmet burned down and the original owner started City Slickers a block from where I lived in Somerville for 8 months. On the second to last night that I stayed there, I decided to really get to the bottom of the whole "what ever happened to Urban Gourmet" situation, and discovered that it had apparently been that close the entire time without me knowing. That hurt, especially considering that I used to drive 35 minutes each way to get this pizza when I lived in North Reading. It's awesome, and you should get it- get the buffalo chicken pizza, it's phenomenal.  


It was great to have another pizza/movie night in my old house. We didn't do this enough.

what the hell are we watching?

Oh, I also started playing with a slow shutter app on my phone while on this trip. Here's McManamon, Sean, and Tobin:

Mutant Gene, emo big chin, snake eyes/giant lip

and me:

I think this is actually an improvement

currently listening to: The Get Up Kids- There Are Rules

No comments:

Post a Comment