(older entries, separated by genre or date, are listed at the bottom of this page.)

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Hiking The Belknap Range in New Hampshire

If you've been following my blog, you know that I just finished hiking the Belknap Range, to the west of Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire. If you haven't been following and hopefully are finding this blog for some advice on how to go about exploring this area, here's a bunch of links to my trips of the 12 mountains.

Whiteface Mountain (1644 feet)

Rowe Mountain (1680 feet)

Piper, Belknap, and Gunstock Mountains loop (with Sean and Allocca) (2044, 2384, and 2245 feet)
          (Piper Mountain via Whiteface Trail)

West Quarry Mountain (1894 feet) 
          (visit 2 with better pictures)

Rand, Klem and Mack Mountains out-and-back (with Kevin) (1883, 2001, and 1945 feet)

Major, Straightback and Anna Mountains out-and-back (1786, 1890, and 1670 feet)

Here's basically what these trips look like:


I went into it a bit on the post about my last hike, but it really was quite the accomplishment for me to get these all done. They're small mountains by NH mountain standards, but there was a lot of time, effort and heart involved in conquering all of these. Time spent researching routes and maps, conversations with friends about my progress, slowly learning what mountains I was looking at and slowly becoming a bit of an expert on the area... it's all been worthwhile to accomplish something I'm extremely proud of. I decided I was going to do something, I learned about it, and then I went out and did it. I earned my patch, and I'm proud to have it. 


I got a short letter from the guy in charge too, Don Watson. He told me to "please, please, please carry a trail map and guide book" with me while hiking. Thanks for the concern Don, I appreciate it. He also told me that I am the 314th person to send in for the patch; a number that is both smaller and larger than I thought it would be. I think a bunch of people have done all of these and just didn't care about the patch, but I certainly did. On the other side, it's pretty awesome that that many people have hiked this small range that not that many people even know about. 

He also told me that there is a patch for hiking all the mountains in NH with fire towers (although it looks like you only have to hike 5 of them and I've already hiked 4...) and one for hiking all 10 peaks of the Ossipee range. I've seen the lists, but I can't find proof anywhere online that such a patch exists. If you're a hiker and know if there is in fact a patch, please comment with info on how to get it. I'm patch crazy now, and I may just consider it.

Anyway, I'm now taking on the task of conquering all 48 4,000 footers in NH, which will probably prove to be harder than anything I've ever done before. I have 2 down, leaving a lot of work left. I'm pumped and terrified, but mostly, I'm excited to have another goal. Thanks for being a nice small journey Belknaps, I raise my glass to you.


Basic info: http://www.franklinsites.com/hikephotos/nhbelknaprange.php
Checklist and info on the patch: http://www.belknapsportsmensclub.com/hiking.php
Search around for any more info, or use my guides. 

currently listening to: Shellac- B-Sides

14 comments:

  1. is that scotch? Sure hope thats scotch. Feel like scotch would be a good drink with that patch. Sure that isn't scotch? I bet your beard soaks up scotch real well. I've heard that flannel and scotch go well together. Probably should make sure thats scotch. YOLO, mike... YOLO.

    congrats on the accomplishment, good luck on the rest and with that scotch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, you need to comment more. are you drinking some scotch yourself?

      no, if I had scotch, it would have been scotch. but it was st. germain.

      maybe we'll hike sometime and drink some scotch at the top.

      Delete
  2. congrats man. is the patch on your backpack yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have no idea where to put it on my new bag

      Delete
  3. Nice man! I want to hike with you some time. Can you imagine how many crisco burgers we would eat? Quimby would have to stay home, I think He'd burn all his energy in the first 20 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you're going to kingdom trails and don't want to bike the amount that everyone else will (last year they did 25 the first day, 15 the second), I'm probably going to hike one of the mountains around lake willoughby (like I did last year) on saturday, then ride on sunday when the skinny people are slightly less aggressive.

      Delete
  4. That's one purdy patch bro! PROST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH! Also....I like the new theme/pic :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work! I am planning to attempt all 12 in a long day hike, its nice to take a break from the whites and try something local! Love your blog, have a view of mine won't ya?

    http://mtnramblings.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. all 12 in one day? wow. that's a serious hike. good luck!

      and I'm pretty sure I've been on your blog several times.

      Delete
  7. I don't know if you're still wondering about that other patch, as this was posted a while ago, but: most of the Ossipee range is in Castle in the Clouds, so I'm assuming this is the badge: http://www.lrct.org/hiker-patch.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! it's weird that they require you to hike certain trails too...
      I'm 4,000 footer crazy now, but thank you very much for the link. Someday, I will attack the Ossipees!

      Delete