(older entries, separated by genre or date, are listed at the bottom of this page.)

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Squamtoberfest 8

As anyone who has read my blog by now knows, Squamtoberfest is one of my favorite weekends of the year. This year, I skipped out completely on biking and focused on hiking and drinking only. This has a lot of pictures, so I'll keep the chatter to a minimum. I started by going up Friday afternoon (way too late of course) and hitting up the best place ever, Georgiana Falls. 

standard tree shot I take every year

Now that I've gotten really into hiking and have explored some amazing places, I don't know if this is truly the best place ever anymore, but it will always hold a special place in my heart.


I got on the river as soon as I could, and hiked up the rocks.


HDR city:


When I got to the top, there was a really weird pink glow to everything that made HDRs and even regular shots really hard to get right. I had to do some tricky stuff to this one to get the background to show up enough. One of my favorite spots ever:


I left in the dark, then headed into Plymouth for a calzone. There were no pumpkins on the tower :(


I got to Kevin's late as expected, and eventually Dustin and Amanda and Tobin and Kira showed up. We drank old fashioneds and listened to terrible vinyl. I love gentleman's lounge. More people need to come up early for it!

Day 2, we all kind of went our separate ways. Nobody wanted to hike other than my Mass roommates, so we hit up Cardigan. My plan was to start working on earning a Views and Brews patch, where you have to hike a mountain, then visit a local brewery and try at least 1 beer (pretty hilariously awesome). Apparently you have to visit a local attraction or do another small hike too. 

When we got to Cardigan, there were even more cars in the parking lot than I expected. We set out just the 3 of us though, and it looked like it would be a foggy hike.


As we went up, it got foggier and foggier.


And we quickly realized we wouldn't be getting any views. Bummer.


But, I'm actually really psyched about this hike. I've been in clouds at the top of a mountain before, but I've never seen it this thick. And it was windy and FREEZING up there. It was a complete tundra disaster.


So we took some cool pics.


Mike vs. the world:


Here's my instagram. This is just one black and white filter. It really was that thick up there.


We didn't hang out on top for long. We then headed down and went way too far in the wrong direction to go to 7 Barrel Brewery, the brewery listed for Cardigan. 


We both got their red ale, which was pretty solid.

I also got their poutine, which... holy shit.


It was pretty much just a bowl of cheese. I've never seen this much cheese on anything. I think this may be a case of going too far. 


There is a waterfall in Plymouth that I wanted to visit- recently when cleaning my room in Maine, I found an old issue of the Clock that recommended this waterfall for a small hike. I took a picture of it and have been looking for an excuse to check it out, and this felt like a good one. We of course paid our respects to the zoo on the way,


then headed into the woods again to check out the waterfall. It was pretty nice, actually.


Tobin was real excited for it.


We then headed back and it was dark by the time we got there (with calzones from AHOP of course). I think I screwed up this year. I had fun doing the 2 hikes, but there was so much driving, and so much time spent with people I see all the time. The people who went biking were back in the early afternoon and had all day just hanging out at the house. They also went apple picking on Saturday morning which I missed. Next year, I'm gonna do 1 day hike and try to leave early. Then be back to the house for partying. I learned my lesson. 

Once the campfire got going, everyone was in good spirits. And we had that badass NEMBA tent too.


Christmas lights, pumpkins, chips, candy corn, beers. Hell yea.


Here's Kevin with his foot in a bucket.


And here's an action shot of Pog chopping wood in the dark:


Mysterio and Adam fighting the fire. Mysterio's head was pretty much fully engulfed in flames.


I love Kevin's moustache illuminated by fire in this one:


I tried so hard to get Mysterio lit up next to fire, but it never really worked.


Pog tried to as well.


As the night went on, things got more retarded. I love this series of photos:




Mostly because Kevin looks like my drawing of him in the last one.

Soon though, peeps started to get tired.

I love Amanda taking a picture of a pumpkin butt while Kevin is rage yawning.

And then as per usual, I caught Kevin retiring for the night.


Last year, I really wanted to play emo music to keep in tradition with the old Squamtoberfest vibe of sitting on Kevin's deck in Ashland, but people didn't really want to listen to it, and it caused conflict. This year, I just let whatever happen happen and I think we listened to line dancing country music for much of the night. As people started going to bed though, I put on my stuff and played air guitar. Even though it was pretty much by myself, it felt good. This may have to be the way things go from here on out.

I slept pretty horribly that night, waking up twice with horrific tooth pains. Fast forward to a week later, I had to have a tooth pulled because it was rotting out of my head and causing me some of the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life. It all kicked in at Squamtoberfest. Damn me and my need to eat candy corn.
Sunday morning, I woke up still terrified about my mouth, but I had fair eating to do. So we headed out.



It was super packed. Here's Kevin eating a sausage.


Dustin in a jacket I'm still bummed he didn't buy:


This stupid thing was the highlight of Amanda and Gina's day for sure. These vegetables came out and danced. One rapped. It was for little kids, yet Amanda lost her mind at it. Even Kevin's mom was all about it.




And here's a lovely picture of Gina with a giant doughnut.


That's pretty much it. Pretty standard Squamtoberfest. It was generally all a good time. I screwed up on Saturday and missed apple picking and house hangouts, but gentleman's lounge, the fire, hiking, fall, best place ever, and the fair all = awesome. Year 9 this year! I'm planning on taking a few extra days off and trying to hike 5 favorite mountains around Squamtoberfest, then hanging hard at the house this year. Fall overload + hangs will mean an even better fest.

currently listening to: Taking Back Sunday- "Happiness Is"

4 comments:

  1. holy shit look at my "beard"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting bigger every year dude! By Squamtoberfest 20, you'll have an actual beard, not a "beard"!

      Delete
  2. My eyelashes look ahmaaaaziiing! I am so awesome.

    ReplyDelete