(older entries, separated by genre or date, are listed at the bottom of this page.)

Friday, August 26, 2011

Trip to Maine: Reminiscence and poop posters

I headed to Maine late Monday after swimming for hours at Fernal with Josh. I'm mentioning this because I took an awesome picture of Irwin on the way home, which, sent through the Instagram filters, made the most emo dog picture in the world.

he loves sunny day real estate and thinking about life

I arrived late and ate pizza from one of my favorite places (Pat's Pizza in Windham, ME) at 11pm, watched some tube and slept in. I had a few things I wanted to do in Maine: see my parents obviously, golf, go fishing/canoeing, clean my room some more, and do a few more awesome things that have lots of pictures and will be in the next post so this one doesn't have 38923 pictures. 

After 4 days of hike-death recovery, I needed to get my legs back in working order, so decided to walk our driveway a few times to see if they were ready to stop being useless. Our driveway is a half mile long, so I did it twice and actually felt pretty good. I used to walk the driveway with my dog all the time, listening to music and having lots of good emo life moments, especially in the fall (duh). One winter day, we did the driveway 6 times. Every time we finished another mile, he would look up at me, nervous and excited, hoping we'd go for another one. That dog loved to walk, and the moments I would turn around fast and start walking out for another mile were some of my favorite moments with him. Seeing him turn around and run towards and past me in excitement, and then run back when his leash ran out, and then run back out in front again, etc always made me happy. I miss you Jesse. Walks aren't the same.

so happy I actually have a picture of him doing "the run back"

It's always nice to visit home, and being as in love with reminiscing and traditions as I am, a driveway walk is always nice. I used to FLY down this hill on my bike and am actually mad I didn't bring my Gopro to film it. 

the last hill down to my house, again in Instagram style because I only brought my phone and already deleted the original (p.s. I LOVE Instagram)

Mom and I tried to go to the driving range to get our golf muscles ready for the onslaught on Thursday, but it was closed, so we had some quality mother/son time on the putting greens, with me teaching her lots of quality stuff about putting, which neither of us could prove actually worked. We then went out to dinner at some local place and I ate some fantastic potato skins. 

Mom and I pretending we don't suck

Beautiful skies. Very sad we couldn't get a tee time for this day, it would have been grand.

Wednesday's adventuring will be highlighted in my next post. Thursday (today), we had had a tee time for 9 holes in the late afternoon for several days. But the golf gods decided to rain on our parade by... raining. So instead, I slept extremely late (the rain also ruined my plans for fishing/canoeing pbbbtt) and spent some time cleaning my room. This has been a project I've been working on for the last 2 years or so- every time I visit my parents, I clean/organize my room more. I throw away as much as I can. I'm trying to get to the point where everything I own is either contained in my room there, or with me, wherever I'm living. And, since it's the room I grew up in and shouldn't have a billion piles of clutter from 4th grade, I'd love for it to be fairly empty. Being a hoarder and not being able to say goodbye to anything from my childhood makes this very hard. But it's nice to clean from time to time, because I get to find things I forgot about- like this, which is pure gold, and one of the greatest things I've ever been a part of. 


When I lived in North Reading with Hilton, his friend Pat made some digital art of a giant poop, which he then printed and gave to us. I'm not entirely sure why, but he did. I'm also not sure who came up with the idea (I'd love to say it was me, but Pat would probably say it was him), but this somehow found its way into our bathroom, where anyone who visited us was told if they were going to use the bathroom, they had to sign the poop poster. 

Why is this blog-worthy? Well, frankly, because it's awesome. Making your life more awesome doesn't have to mean that you hike or write music or quit your job and go swimming every day. No, it can also just mean that you try to not take life seriously, and try your best to instill the idea of living with the best sense of humor possible on people who aren't necessarily of the same mindset as you. To illustrate this idea, my favorite post on here is on the right side. "Nice poster mike. -Dad"

That's right, even my father signed this atrocity. This poster was duck taped to the wall and made me have to repaint the bathroom when we moved out so we could get our security deposit back, but it was 10000% worth it. To sit on the throne and look up at a wall of comments and drawings from different friends from different walks of life (including friends from high school I hadn't seen in 5 years before they signed this and haven't seen since, hilton's ex girlfriends, and of course parents) was simply awesome. And the moment when a friend visited and told us they had to use the bathroom was always a fantastic moment:

"Yeaa!! Make sure you sign the poop poster!" 
"huh?"
---awesome moment---

I miss this, and am considering bringing it back. Everyone should have a poop poster.

currently listening to: Jamie's Elsewhere- They Said a Storm Was Coming

2 comments:

  1. I had forgotten all about this. Wow. That's a piece of incredible history. You really should have it framed and hung somewhere. Like a museum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fucking Poop.

    And it was totally my idea to put it in the bathroom. Don't know about signing it, I think josh or Rich might have been the first... but it was soo long ago. Doesn't matter. Makes me smile so much to think about it.

    And rip jessie. great pic of him. damn allergies.

    ReplyDelete