(older entries, separated by genre or date, are listed at the bottom of this page.)

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Dover Pizza Fest

A few weeks ago, I went to something I was very excited about and completely lived up to my expectations: something called PIZZA FEST. My other blog will probably have a post on this too, but I figured I should throw it on here for anyone reading this. 


What is a pizza fest? It's exactly what you'd think: 10 or so of the local pizza places rent tables, you pay 10 bucks to get in, and you can sample as much pizza as you want. It was incredible. It was at the children's museum, so the decorations and what we were walking through was certainly interesting. What really surprised me was how packed the place was. Who knew so many people were pigs?

Rich killing a slice

yes, we wore stickers to try and promote the blog

The highlight of my plate here was a chacon pizza, which was bbq chicken and bacon on a pizza, stacked so thick it was like a solid glob of goodness. The sauce was a little weird, but still, damn good. It was interesting to see how some places really stepped it up and made really complicated, thick pizzas with weird combinations, and others just had very basic stuff or very blah versions of their pizza. La Festa, which received an incredible and semi-graphic post on fatguyfoodblog wimped out hard- their pizza was super thin with no topping. I don't understand why any pizza place would wimp out like that- this was their showcase to have hundreds of people try their pizza for the first time. Why not go crazy? 

Highlights included the chacon, another really busy bbq chicken with onions and bacon, a general Tso pizza (not good, but interesting), a weird blueberry dessert one, and 2 other dessert ones that were fantastic (and I wish I remembered where they came from)- apple pie and some sort of weird concoction that was like magic cookie bars on pizza. I think just the fact that it was sliced like a pizza and called a pizza made it technically a pizza, but at the same time, it was really just dessert on dough. And it ruled.

There were also a ton of auctions with a lot of surprisingly decent deals, but most people didn't care about that. We were there for the pizza. 


The highlight of the night was this:


This is called the "wicked dirty hippy" pizza, from Smiley's. I know of Smiley's as a very ghetto beer store that has a ton of beer selection (and make your own 6 pack set up) that "also has food." My opinion has changed, as this pizza is not only an evil concoction of garbage, but was actually delicious. Looking at this picture now, I'm shocked I haven't gotten a full one yet. It consisted of: chicken tenders, cheese sauce, french fries, bacon, ranch, and extra cheese. It was glorious in every way.  

We also got to vote for our favorites, and I'm pretty sure this won something. 

If you hear of anything like this, and you like pizza (if you don't, I don't like you), GO. I want to go to more, so if anyone reading this knows about any other events like this happening where they live, let me know. 

3 comments:

  1. We got the Chacon tonight for dinner. It was great. Not AS crazy as at the FEST. But still phenomenal. We need to rock that Hippy pie soon. Very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pizza is my favorite food. You should have totally invited me. Thanks a lot butt head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rich, fuck yea. And, once again, you got pizza on a night i wasn't there. without fail, that's the only time you guys ever get pizza.

    Gina, I honestly didn't know of your deep love for pizza. We should probably try to be better friends. I'll let you know if there's another one.

    ReplyDelete